Visit Historic Bethel German Colony, Bethel, Missouri -- just 45 miles west of Hannibal, Missouri. Bethel was the most successful communal colony in the State of Missouri, founded by Dr. Wilhelm Keil in 1844. Today, this tiny community of 117 residents strives to preserve its rich heritage. The Colony offers the public an opportunity to step back into a time when colonists lived by the golden rule and shared their crops, clothing, crafts and even their earnings. Spend a day with us--
Visit us, be our guest. We know you will enjoy this unique piece of Missouri history.
- exploring an 1800s colony with a mapped walking tour
- visiting shops and museums
- enjoying homemade meals at the Fest Hall
- taking part in festivals and parades
- reliving a way of life when no doors were locked and yours was also your neighbors'